"She thanks you from the bottom of her warm little diaper for the new toy you gave her in commemoration of her 2-month birthday."
"She expresses her discontent with the lack of expertise with which her parents change her diapers."
"She requests her walking milk supply to feed her one more time before she may be excused." For this one I had the visual clue of her starting to eat her hands.
Then I turned to Natasha and told her that начальство, Nachalstvo, requested her services. It's close to the word that means "boss" but it's the abstract form of it, so it's hard to literally translate. Kind of like, "upper-management is changing the work schedule," or "corporate is transferring me to Seattle." Anyways, everyone got a kick out of it, so the name has started to stick.
Maybe it has to do with the afore mentioned birthday toy, one of those dangly, twirly singing merry-go-round toys--oh yeah, and did I mention it's wind up? Yeva didn't dig it much at first, she just liked playing punching bag with the drawings of our faces that Natasha hung up on the walls of her bed. But times have changed. Yeva's vented enough of her frustrations, so now she prefers getting all tranced out on her dangly-twirler. She'll stare up at it and call until we come to wind it up, then she puts all four limbs in the air and smiles for the minute and a half that it twirls and chimes "lullabye." So now we end up running back and forth between rooms to keep Nachalstvo content. In any event, there's no longer any doubt as to who's really in charge.
We were mostly finished watching Night at the Museum 2, when we got a call from Natasha's mom, and we could hear some crying in the background, "Nachalstvo is asking for you to come pick her up."
Do any of you guys have theories regarding kids' toys, ideas of things that actualy aid their development as opposed to just getting their attention? I remember having a math froggy blanket that I attribute my math skills in school to, well maybe not quite, but I think it did at least make me more comfortable with the different signs and stuff.
6 comments:
I had a set of wooden blocks with letters on the sides which I think definitely helped me learn the alphabet as prep for reading.That is a long way off for Yeva. I remember in school they taught us that at her age the child learns trust and security, and recognizing the human face. She has figured out a lot of perceptual stuff by now but still doesn't have the complete picture. I think good music helps, and of course experience and interaction.
My official RN opinion is this:
Love your child and give her lots of physical affection-touch, talking, singing, holding. This actually increases the number of "wrinkles" in her brain tissue. That means her brain surface area and neural pathways are increased, thereby increasing her future learning potential. Give her plenty of opportunity to touch different objects and mouth them. Just make sure they are safe. I am very skeptical as to the the actual value of all these toys they market to parents. I think a tupperware container provides about as much entertainment than an expensive toy. That being said, I have been guilty of buying lots of crap for my kid! ps I really did find that the baby einstien videos were great when I needed to keep Radek entertained for 30 mins or so. Just don't believe that they are actually going to make Yeva smarter. They aren't.
Oh, one other thing. As Yeva gets older, make sure she has open ended activites/toys as opposed to toys that only provide for a specific activity. Ex- blocks or legos instead of an electronic toy that encourages a specific activity only. Or a regular baby doll as opposed to one that says specific things. This allows children to use their imagination and think of different ways to use the toy.
Oh, that's so nice of Nat's mom to do something like that! Milko and I haven't been to the Temple OR the date since Allie was born... I miss that :) You are lucky, guys! :)
At two months Allie likes mirrors, black and white stripes, something she can pull that would play music, and now she likes the same things still, but it also has to be moving or tingling when she touches it. She likes an exersauser, our decorative pillow on the living room couch (it has different patterns on it and makes a "weird" sound when you scratch it), and she also likes play mats.
YOU are your childrens greatest toy... holding them...LOTS...attachment parenting seems to have paid off quite nicely in our home...as proved by some amazingly wonderful teens and even a 20 year old! lol
Post a Comment