Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Conflict Resolution Specialist

Now and then I have one of those moments that just smacks me in the schnaz how amazing children are. All of Yevas friends are great, and theyre each so different, having their own personalities and different ways of playing. Yeva is the softy, super snuggly one whos worried about everyones, including her stuffed animalms feelings. Of course this is a broad labelling and she has her moments, but her saddest, most reclusive moments are once shes realises she let her anger get the best of her and hurt someone.

Anyhow, the other night I was in the midst of an epic battle with the printer, and may have got a tad, mmm, frustrated. Natasha was being good naturedly interfering, and I snapped out that she should let me be and shouldnt have turned off the big light after Id turned it on. Well, that was enough to send my poor, very pregnant and emotionally vulnerable wife out of the room in tears.

Thats when Yeva came intervened. she came up to me.

Dad, youre angry You need to stop and sit down in the chair and calm down.
Once Id complied, she left the room for about fifteen seconds, came back in and asked if I had calmed down and was ready to fix my behavior. I said yes, which was true, and she was content, gave me a hug, then went to check up on mom, who was still crying. She asked why she was crying , to which her mom answered because dad had offended her. She said thatI said I wouldnmt do it anymore, and that I would appologise. And so It was. she marched Natasha back in, asked me to appologise, and wasnmt satisfied until we kissed and made up, at which point she joined in.

Theres no one out there quite as able to whip some hooligans into shape, defuse a tense situation, and melt parents frozen hearts, as an almost three year old. I feel lucky to have her not only as a daughter, but also as a friend.

3 comments:

JD Gray said...

I love you guys. :)

JJLanier said...

Yeva has been taught well. What a sweet little girl!

LaRee said...

priceless. absolutely priceless.