Wow. I really don't even know how to
start this one off. Make sure you aren't operating any heavy
equipment before reading this. So you have an idea where this is
going, we'll start off with a ...
Question:
What do Russians REALLY think of the
idea of an American willfully choosing to live in Russia?
Answer:
Yes, those really are electrodes
monitoring my brain functions, not some kind of Soviet era hair
curlers.
So why? Well the short answer is
because I wanted to finally get my Russian driver's license, but that
doesn't really get to it. Almost nobody ever has to do that, though
you do have to pass a very brief psychological evaluation test, which
basically involves an hour of standing in a few different lines in a
poorly lit, stuffy corridor, dealing with the unannounced lunch
breaks. Everyone who manages to wait their turn without a nervous
breakdown has but to answer a few simple questions like, “No, I
don't have any close relatives with serious mental disorders.” then
count a bunch of dots without using their fingers, then off they go,
paper in hand bearing the rubbery stamped seal of authority saying
they've successfully passed through yet another layer of red tape ala
Rus.
So what's with me? Not sure how I could
have messed that one up. I mean, I even managed to suppress an urge
to share a really cool dream i had the other night, cool for so many
reasons, magnificently random ones at that, like... A) I WAS none
other than Tim Allen; B) I was a scientist and C) I was fighting off
an intense Zombie invasion back at my parents Judy Circle house --
How awesome is that?! There were even zombie dogs even though
Celestia's book says it's impossible. Anyway, and as interested as I
was in a free professional interpretation, I suppressed the urge
figuring it unlikely that she would even know who Tim Allen was.
But of course she noticed I didn't have
a Russian Passport, so she inquired as to my origins. “American?”
as she eyed me suspiciously. “And you moved to... Russia? ... Four
years now? ... And you're not planning to move back yet? ...
hmmmm...” I didn't think much of it, because it's a pretty routine
reaction that I get, especially from the generation that's say, from
35 to 45 years old now, which she fit into. But I slowly grasped the
gravity of those few utterances when, instead of pounding fresh ink
on a pretty piece of paper, she scribbled some illegible writing onto
two separate scraps, each representing the location and nature of my
further testing. I was without words, but instead of protesting,
perhaps for fear of the mob banging through the door (zombie dreams,
you know), I escaped and sought out my next destination.
The first was conveniently located on
the same cozy premises. It was, however only the scheduling room of
the real doctor. Booked for two weeks? you've gotta be kidding me.
Then I was told, that if I needed it more urgently, and I wasn't
opposed to waiting around, maybe the doctor would have some free time
today, and I was given the cabinet number. Well, there were two
shrinks, and nobody there. Really booked, eh? Hopefully it wouldn't
take long, and I could still be out in time for my 3:00 pupil. I
still lacked even the remotest of conceptions as to what analysis I
was supposed to undergo, but after This new psychologist deciphered the scribbles, she
looked at me very understandingly. The air of concentrated delicacy
with which I was treated began making me feel a bit uneasy.
“Lets start with these.” And she
retrieved a picture album-type book with different black and white
sketches on them. It took me a second to process the four clear
drawings on the first page out of sheer shock: a rose, a dandelion, a
tulip, a cat. “Which one of these,” pointing to each in
turn “does not belong?” I looked up at her in
astonishment, like are you for real?, which
she must have interpreted as me being snapped away by some
type of hellish kindergarten flashback from childhood, confirming her
worst fears.
“umm... well I guess those are all
... like ... flowers, so ... the cat because it's an animal.”
“Good job!”
That bit of positive reinforcement
really gave me the boost I needed, let me tell you, which I really
needed because she kept supplying me with page after page. By the
time I was about to say that the soccer ball differed from the figure
skater because the former suffered from an oedipal complex, whereas
the latter from penis envy, I was relieved from the pictures. But I
guess my results weren't convincing enough, because the next test was
along the same lines, just without the pictures, which were apparently too tricky for me.
“How are the sun and the moon the
same?”
Are you freaking kidding me? I
thought now terse rapid-fire answers would resolve the matter:
“Both celestial
bodies. Both visible from earth. Both give light.”
“Now
how are they different?” “Moon is Earth's satellite, Sun is star
of our solar system. (blah, blah, blah.)”
But
they kept coming! What was she trying to learn by each successive
question that wasn't clearly evident by the previous? What sick
manner of people are these? Then there were some memory exercises,
number scanning, etc. I finally got to thinking it was about over,
and just in time to make my lesson... and then... The computer.
You
see, there are some questions, that not even the most seasoned of
professionals can ask another adult with a strait face. That is what
the computer is for! 400 questions, in the form of agree/disagree,
including but not limited to:
I
think my father is a good man.
I feel
like I have evil spirits in my head.
I
don't steal as much as other people do even when nobody is watching.
I
suffer from constipation at least once a month.
I feel
that it's ok for women to act as openly about sex as men do.
I can
feel the presence of other people following me.
I
think that my body is about as good as most everyone else's.
I
suffer from diarrhea, at least once a month.
I
enjoy looking at the figure of my same gender.
My
father is worthy of my love.
I
cough up blood, and vomit uncontrollably less than at least once a
month.
I am
satisfied with my sex life.
And of
course this is all in Russian, and I'm getting pretty burnt out. I
had, after all, spent their lunch break cramming for my theoretical
driver's test, which is about like reading the ingredients on a
Flavor Blasted 14 cheesish Dorito's wrapper, so I was losing speed to
the tricky wording so I didn't accidentally say that I was coughing
up blood uncontrollably, less than once a month, or wait wasn't that
vomiting uncontrollably, but then it was not at the same time, so
does that count? In any event, although my speed was waning, I
couldn't help but grin ear to ear as I trudged my way through these
ridiculous questions. I was also beginning to think, that maybe I
really was crazy after all. I mean who am I to say? I really need to
see the answers to this. Maybe it's one of those things where you
think it's really simple, but it's only because you're unable to put
the dots together and see the real questions. This is the place I
feel... happy. So much attention. Such fun games. Forget work. I'll
stay here forever.
Right
about then, I was interrupted by the Doctor. I had made it through
about 150 questions. She told me I could leave for ten minutes, get
some fresh air. Then she deleted my file. The audacity! What
rejection. I didn't know how to react. And then the nerve to make me
come back in another 10 minutes. Maybe she was offended, that I'd
been deceiving her from the start, leading her to believe that I
really was in such dire need of her attention. It must get lonely
having not enough really psychos to treat. In any event, after the
break which turned out to be a very convenient time to tell my pupil
our lesson was cancelled, I returned I was fed back to the first
doctor who then directed me to go get the other analysis, in a
different hospital. This was the cool one, the EEG from the other
picture. Here are the results.
I
guess it wasn't too bad, but of course I had to pay around 20 extra
bucks for it, and due to the time it cost my next lesson as well, but
I wasn't about to not get this day finished once and for all. Then I
went back to the psycho chick, got my pretty papers. Left. No more
papers, only Kevin! Free at last!


5 comments:
But did you actually get your license?
I have been thinking you needed some serious psychotherapy for years. Emphasis on the psycho. Perhaps now someone will finally start giving you the electroshock and ice bath therapy you really need. Perhaps a frontal lobotomy. Then you would definitely qualify for a driver's license. I wonder why American's never think to test the mental stability of their drivers? Perhaps the Russians have a smarter approach than we do. ;-)
How many times do they really get a chance to peer into the brain of an American? Always nice to have an excuse. Like you've said, you get a lot of medical care in Russia that we couldn't easily afford to have done here in the USA. Wonder what was in that deleted file....
That is just crazy! What is up with the Russians? Your humor is entertaining. I'm also wondering if you actually got your license.
OK, I must say that is one of the greatest stories of the way Russia works that I have ever heard, I laughed for like 10 minutes straight. Good job on passing, though you probably just slipped the doctor like a thousand rubles under the table...
Post a Comment