Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rybnaya Dusha (fish spirit)






First, and coolest, Natasha and I will be in America not only for the reunion, but from October 28th to January 13th:) Thank you all my super family for insisting, and especially Grandma and Kimber for wanting us to crowd in with them, and Grandma of course for financing the bulk of our trip. This will be Natasha's first Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas in America (and my first Halloween in 5 years now that I think of it).

So we just got back from watching the general conference (we have it late because of the time difference)and for some reason I remembered how President Kimball back in his day disputed the idea of "the perfect soul mate" saying that any worthy man and any worthy woman could make a marriage work. Although I'm sure that's true, I couldn't help but thinking that it's all for the better that Spencer and Natasha never had to put that one to the test. You're probably thinking, wow that's random, but those of you who know Spencer well, know that he just doesn't dig fish. I remember I even made some salmon and he turned his nose up at it. Natasha on the other hand is a real penguin, refer to the penguin dance for reference.

Her ideal companion (if it were possible to be more ideal than I) would be a fishmonger, and I've never monged a fish in my life. To make it worse, I don't even eat fish that often, so I have trouble being attentive enough in meeting her cravings. Yesterday, however, we went to the fair (not carnival style, just one that sells stuff)and I made sure that Natasha didn't get away without plenty. She was going to be content with just two frozen fillets ("sea tongue"), but I insisted we get 4 more (trout, calamari and 2 "sea windows") Natasha was ecstatic--it all added up to be about 9 pounds.

After eating her first fillet yesterday, she went off to the district(stake) young women's pajama party (she's the district yw president). She had a blast doing whatever it is girls do at pajama parties, and then came home late at 11:00 with french braids and a big smile. I'm not sure what the smile was from more, the fillet or the braids (she loves people to play with her hair), but since I'm not that great at braids keeping her well supplied seems the practical solution.

Natasha's perception of the fishmonger's wares.




Kevin's perception of the fishmonger's wares.

7 comments:

LaRee said...

Yesterday I had an interesting experience involving fish. Jenna had called early in the day hoping for a ride home from work, since her vehicle was getting a dinged bumper repaired (thankfully not at fault in the accident, other party insured) So I said maybe we could "hang out" Well, something had gone awry in my work calendar and I had a late visit due that evening that I was totally unaware of. We spent a blissful evening together involving salmon, sauteed onion, parmesani pasta, and spring green salad with fresh cucumber. We were all too full for dessert. It was one of the most relaxed and enjoyable evenings I've had in a long time. Then 9:55 pm hit. I suddenly realized what I had forgotten. Visions of horror built up in my brain as I imagined my sweet seniors stumbling around in the house alone and unattended, perhaps in serious distress. I couldn't get through on the phone to their kin until half an hour later. Thankfully, their son had been over that day and taken my place. I was so relieved. He even said he appreciated what a loving person, or something to that effect, I have been to his mom and dad. So no nightmares for me, just sweet savory memories of fish and family. :) :) :)

Crystal said...

Ok that was about the funniest thing I've read today. You should practice braids on Natasha. It would be a good skill to know. I loved the two pictures at the end of the blog. phaa ha ha ha he he. Funny Kevin.

Crystal said...

Oh by the way you quoted Pres Kimball quite wrong. Go back and check that typo out. You may feel sheepish. Ha ha ha. Again. Funny Kevin.

Anonymous said...

oh man! At least Celest didn't get to comment on that before I fixed it;) You snooze you looze.

Kristi said...

I agree with Natasha that fish is excellent. I love the pictures you posted. You make me laugh! How exciting that you both will be visiting for so long!

Unknown said...

mmmmmm, fish! seafood is so good.
Paul isn't huge on fish but I am slowly converting him. mwahahhaha

And Awe man I missed the typo :( I also do agree that you should learn and practice braids. Then you will be able to help out when you guys have a little girl

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't know what the typo was, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might have made Pres. Kimball look like a left wing rainbow hugger. Am I right, or am I right people? Ha! I am still busy laughing over the pictures at the end of the post. I tend to agree with Natasha. Yummy fish!