It's been a while since I've done any kind of a Russian culture specific post, and since it improves attitude and appreciation of being where I am, I decided to devote a post to it. Of course I can't hope to really cover the topic, so I'm just throwing in a few samples with some info about music I chose because either a)it's iconic b) I think it's cool, or c)it's amusing. This also won't include anything the Ukrainian stuff I brought home from my mission: Irina Bilyk, Verka Serduchka, Ruslana. On a side note, those of you who may have had the misfortune of seeing Tatu on MTV back in 2003ish will be relieved to know that annoyingness isn't merit for the amusement criterion.
Starting off.... mwahahaha... where to begin. A lot of the modern classics you hear cited the most frequently are from old films.
The Grand Prize in this category goes to...
Soundtrack from '77 USSR comic film "Slujebniy Roman" or "The Office Romance." IMHO the best Soviet comedy, and to boot the whole score is amazing. The composer is Andrei Petrov. Here's a a remake of the "Morning" scene, where it shows all the girls going through the ritual of redoing their makeup after surviving the morning commute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCeT3GnxzoQ
here's the afore mentioned comute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6S1d5ArTzI
"Nature doesn't have bad weather"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRZ_nzb1eI
"Ivan Vasiliavich Changes Profession" 1973. Another classic, frequently quoted Russian comedy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXG0EBrLRQ&feature=related
Here's a New Year's song from the 1984 "Zima v Prostokvashina," A cartoon funny enough to make learning Russian worth it. It's the third and final part about a boy runs away to a village because his parents won't let him have a cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWYLRqE8NxE
Here's the theme song from the enjoyably cheesy, optimistic Soviet children's sci-fi mini-series "Guests from the Future" Great stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvKPzyl_ljw
Another sci-fi. 1986 "Kin-Dza-Dza!" Everyone in Russia has seen it, or at least part of it. Few have sat through it. Surprising is the high caliber director and actors. The music and dance choreography are just good enough to make the list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkxetLJKIDQ
I'll save the non-movie ones for another post. I'm tired.
2 comments:
I really did check out every link. I wish I spoke Russian, I think it would have enhanced the experience. Also, any good Russian stuff since the 80's? lol.
wow, I sort of wasn't expecting anyone to actually follow the links:) I'll get around to some more recent stuff in a later post, but I wasn't planning on doing much past 2000, because I find it less interesting.
Post a Comment