My goal for this week is to survive through cold week. It started on Friday. I asked for half day off so we could run fliers for Kevin. It was -29C when we did it.
On Saturday we didn't go to the church activity because of the weather and had banya instead. It was an interesting experience to get outside and rub snow in to hot skin. The Russian Banya usually has temperatures upwards of 200°F (90°C) with humidity at about 60-70%. And it was -29C outside. It was interesting. First time in my life.
On Sunday we asked a member of the Church to give us a ride to the Church. Kevin had to take a bus. In the evenings we were baking and cooking to keep the place warmer. We sleep in sweaters and woolen socks. And it is still cold to get out of the blanket. We live in a wooden house. We use electric heaters to keep the place worm. Our bathroom has no source of heat and so the water froze in the pipes and we have no water there.
Today I was blessed to get on the bus right away. And to get to work. The bus was cold. Poor ticket lady has to be there all day long and I can be in my office drinking hot tea. I guess school kids are the happiest on the earth as they don't have to go to school when it is this cold. At least I remember I was waking up with home in the mornings when I as school age. It it was below -26 I shouted Hooray and went back to sleep and then watch cartoons or did whatever I liked for the rest of the day. It was great.
But for now my only goal is to survive through this cold week. It will be even colder on Wednesday and Thursday. I put off my diet and sport and any other new or extra stuff until the end of the cold. I stopped waking up early as it is impossible to make myself get off the blanket for any other reason than going straight to work.

No comments:
Post a Comment