Sunday, October 5, 2008

From the Terminator's Bedmate

This last week I kept wishing I was a great cartoonist because I had all of these images popping into my mind based off of the joys of pregnancy. Since Natasha is such a good sport and doesn't complain enough, I decided to take the honors. For those who don't know, Natasha gets about the worst of all the typical symptoms: nausea, acid reflux, mood swings, loss of appetite, cravings, and of course the Tantalus curse of wanting to sleep on the stomach. At 17 weeks the worst has finally started easing off, but it still creeps up from time to time. Surprisingly, contrary to the typical "morning sickness" the morning is usually her best time of the day, it's the day evening and night that are the pits for her. As we perplexed over the irregularity, I had a revelation--our baby is half American, so of course makes it's fuss according to AZ timezones and all the more intense due to the whacked out circadian cycles! What were we expecting?! So a word of warning for anyone considering a transcontinental pregnancy.

That also reminds me of when we were thinking over names, which is always an amusing subject, because whatever we choose, it'll be subject to some hazing. There isn't the same spectrum of normalish names we have in the melting pot, same for nicknames, or alternate spellings. The patronymic (the middle name which always means "son/daughter of") name by itself is goofy Kevinovich/Kevinovna, so you can't just choose a traditional Russian name hoping to make things normal, it ain't so easy. So Natasha tells me she likes the name Lisa, but not the name Elizabeth. I, being well cultured in Garfield comics, advised the name Lizard, as a good alternative. The funny thing, is that there's a Boy's name Yasha, and the word for lizard in Russian is yasharitsa, so we figured we could stick with the lizard theme for either a boy or girl, and maybe use both for a brother and sister: Yasharitsa Kevinovich and Lizard Kevinovna Gray.

Anyways, back to the Pregnancy stuff. We got the bathroom door fixed. Now Natasha can close the door when she's throwing up, so it doesn't bug me as much. But, there's still a problem--We share the same bed. I had been suffering from poor sleep, and not quite sure why, but suspecting it had to do with Natasha. When she was gone to Moscow, I started taking ice baths before bed (10 minutes of gradually submerging in ice water 1 hour before going to bed) and that definitely did the trick, surprisingly enjoyable and relaxing.

So that you'll understand the next part, I have an amazing ability to be half-awake in my sleep and have no memory of what happens after. Once while staying at a hotel after a long day of work with Kimber I crashed, while he went out for ice cream. I wake up in the morning notice an empty carton of icecream in the trash, and complain that he ate a whole carton without saving me any. He looks at me with owl eyes. That's right, I got up, ate a bowl of ice-cream and went back to bed without completely waking up, and no memory.

So after I'd spiffed myself with my icebath routine and temporarily cured my usual "ability" to blank out memories, Natasha came back. I saw what she really does in her sleep, and I was conscious for it. Two images come to mind. The first is of Japanese cartoons where there's a giant robot of destruction and death with a little guy inside controlling (think power rangers, gundam wing, etc..) Natasha's sleeping body is the transformer, and the baby is the guy at the controls. The other is of those balls you put gerbils in so they can have a blast jumping against the walls sending the ball flying in all different directions. Whatever image suits you best, this little rascal used Natasha to wake me up at least 10 times. We're talking, elbows in the eye, ribs, blanket plundering, shoving, you name it! The surprising thing, is that I finally got some rest, woke up a little earlier than usual and felt perfectly fine. It occured to me this is what she does every night. So, first off, I decided I'm better off losing a couple hours and sleeping a little worse just so long as I have my usual ability back so that I don't remember anything. Ignorance is bliss. Second, I'm not so upset as this little guy, as I am jealous. No wonder all of the anime idolizes having a giant robot to control, that'd be awesome! It's probably just their subconscious desire to be reunited with their mothers. hehehe, enjoy it while you can, little guy, but I guess it's not like I'm going to get more sleep once he's out anyways, ehh..

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Well is that all a girl has to do to get the bathroom door fixed?! Too bad I can't BARF uncontrolably so my husband will fix my bathroom door so it "won't bother him as much" Oh wait the barfing is way worse than the "bothering"

okay okay I'm sure you are a loving and attentive husband :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Kevin, way to be insensitive about the barfing. And the sleeping. I have to say, as much as I may have disturbed Ritchie's sleep during my pregnancy, I promise that mine was disturbed more.

Poor Kevin. There is no winning way to deal with it. Women are allowed to complain about pregnancy, but men just have to suck it up even when they have to deal with the consequences or else they get pounced on by all women. It isn't fair, but I suppose it's not fair that our bodies are the ones that get abused by oblivious tenants. Those darn renters never take good care of my property!

Anonymous said...

PS if you name a girl lizard I will totally have to kill you. It may sound cute in Russia, but she has to come over here sometime. The boy version Kasha sounds kind of nice though.

The Bunzells said...

Congrats on the baby-boy am i behind the times, i had no idea! Are you guys having a boy or girl?

Crystal said...

Did you draw the hamster ball cartoon? It's a keeper.

Kevin said...

Ok, before I apologize to all of the women who have been pregnant for my insensitivity, I would like to mention that it wasn't I who insisted on getting the bathroom door fixed, that was Natasha. (by the way, she's also the one who called the guy to come fix it) mwahahaha, I'm such a jerk husband. What you don't actually realize, is it's all part of a plot to make you all join Natasha's side, and it proved very effective. Now She has a whole posse of cousins in America. Unfortunately the Hampster cartoon wasn't my invention, just found it on the internet.

Milko, Eve, Allison, And Joshua said...

Natasha, don't go for Lizard names!!! :P

Kristi said...

You eat ice cream in your sleep? Hmm ... makes me wonder what else you are up to. And you're probably right about not getting much sleep after your baby is born. Do you think you'll be able to change a diaper in your sleep? Oh, and reptile names are just so cool. I mean who doesn't like Gila monster, snake, turtle or lizard? Just kidding!