So now and then you have these moments where you just run into something that strikes you as mind-blowingly deep. I just had to share this. Oh yeah, by the way the girls are great and all:)
Now before I begin, a brief tribute to Covey. I look up to him as a great guy. I've read and own a copy of The Seven Habits and can say it helped me make some positive changes to mature as an adult, and I sometimes use it as a conversation topic for my English students to boot. Kudos to Covey, RIP.
Back to where I was going, yeah, deep profundifity. I chanced a glance at Natasha's facebook and this list is what caught my eye. #9 stuck out to me, and I supposed what struck me as being so wow-tastic was a slight misreading of the first bullet point:
What you see often depends entirely on what you're looking at.
Man alive, that's intense. Genius! Ok, let me see if I can help break this down a bit, cause that may be a little hard to digest.
So let's say that I look through the world through an onion paradym. Just as an example, stay with me. Maybe I'm into agriculture or what not. So, when I look at onions, I see onions. The result is a perfectly natural win-win situation, taken that I'm being proactive and not waiting around for them to be the ones to take the initiative in being viewed by me. But then, suppose while I'm minding my own business staying in my non-urgent/important quadrant, i happen to see something that doesn't look like an onion at all, but rather, a dog. It may not fit into my onion paradym. Stay with me. The point is though... What I see is a dog, because the object that I am looking at... is a dog.
I'm just going to let that sink in a while.
Ugg... turns out it wasn't by Covey anyhow, just a tribute to him. Whatever.

1 comment:
Useful and apropos for me at the moment. We have an assignment defining our goals, and I have to give up worrying about past mistakes. Glad you have benefitted from the Great Guy. Incidentally, I have heard him several times in person. BYU is great.
Post a Comment